More Recent Comments

Monday, March 30, 2009

God Won't Allow Climate Catastrophe

 
You'll be pleased to know that global climate change isn't going to end in catastrophe. Rep. John Shimkus from Illinois says as much during a hearing of the U.S. House Subcommittee on Energy and Environment in Washington.

He quotes directly from the Bible concluding, "The Earth will end only when God declares it’s time to be over. Man will not destroy this Earth. This Earth will not be destroyed by a flood."

It's comforting to know that church and state are separated in America and free speech is sacrosanct.


In Canada we just had a major kerfuffle in the press over a science minister who hinted that he might not believe in evolution. I wonder if Rep. John Shimkus is going to get into trouble for not believing in global warming because it conflicts with the Bible?


[Hat Tip: Friendly Atheist]

6 comments :

Don said...

When I first encountered cows (while working on a university farm), I was convinced they were merely pretending to be stupid because I was convinced that nothing could actually be that stupid. My first reaction to Rep. John Shimkus is the same. I think in both cases, I’m being naive.

AL said...

Well, he's right. Global climate catastrophes, if such a thing were to occur, would not destroy the planet. It might make it very inhospitable to us and wreck our way of life if not outright wipe us out, but the earth will certainly still be here.

Larry Moran said...

Don says,

When I first encountered cows (while working on a university farm), I was convinced they were merely pretending to be stupid because I was convinced that nothing could actually be that stupid. My first reaction to Rep. John Shimkus is the same. I think in both cases, I’m being naive.

You are.

Cows are way smarter than John Shimkus.

Curtis Forrester said...

Who cares if there is a theological debate when discussing a serious topic such as global climate change and carbon credits in a legislative context? That's as ludicrous as theologians holding court against scientists for crimes against the church, and that would never happen... (er,...)

The one redeeming part of the video was the cute lady behind him. I imagined a little cartoon thought bubble above her head stating "OMFG! Is this guy serious?"

386sx said...

Did he say there is a theological debate that this is a carbon starved planet? Did I hear that right? Cuckooooo...

Anonymous said...

Shimkis is a demagogue. Undoubtedly a stupid one, but a demagogue none the less. He voted against the recent budget (Omnibus appropriations) bill in the US Congress, but not before inserting five of his own earmarks (pork projects). When a reporter asked him about it his response was, "Is this a great country or what!"

BTW, high-sulfur coal is abundant in his district, so its not surprising that he denies global warming.