More Recent Comments

Thursday, November 23, 2006

A Simple Act of Kindness

This morning I drove over to my local Tim Horton's to get a coffee. There was a lineup in the drive-through, as usual. The woman in front of me stopped by the garbage bin and tossed out an empty cup. She missed, and the cup bounced off the receptacle and rolled under her car. She opened the door a crack, peered out, saw nothing, and drove on.

I have to admit I'm really annoyed at this kind of behavior. I hate it when people throw garbage on the street, especially when there are garbage bins everywhere. I've been known to pick up litter and hand it back to the owner. Rather than drive over her discarded cup, I stopped, picked it up, and put it in the bin. I was not thinking nice thoughts when I did this and I made sure that she saw me do it.

Back in the car, I drove up to the window to get my coffee. Imagine my surprise when the server told me my coffee was free today! She informed me that the woman ahead of me had paid for my coffee.

Thanks, whoever you are. You made my day. In fact, you made my week.

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

Canadians!

Ed Darrell said...

Good deeds are a good way to pay it forward.

Hey, there's a moral in there somewhere for the contretemps over how to deal with us theists in the evolution discussions.

Larry Moran said...

Wanna buy me a coffee?